Show Me Tell Me Questions//
On your driving test, before you start driving, the driving examiner will ask you one vehicle safety question on the 'tell me' list. These questions are important to learn because they will help keep you and your car safe and roadworthy after you've passed your test.
On the drive, during your driving test, the examiner will ask you one question from the 'show me' list. You must be able to show the examiner the function they ask for while you're driving along. If you can't find the switch you need to operate you can pull over, find it, and set off again. Then while you are moving again perform the task they've asked for.
If you cant remember the answer to the tell me question or perform the task in the show me question you will record a driver fault. You can get up to 15 driver faults on your driving test so it's not the end of the world, but its a bad way to start your driving test, and might make you more anxious! So it's a good idea to get familiar with these show me tell me questions before you go for your driving test!
1. Tell me how to check the brakes are working before starting your journey.
Before I set off I'll check the brakes to make sure they don't feel spongy or slack , Then when I set off I'll test the brakes again gently and make sure the car isn't pulling to one side.
2. Tell me where you find the information for the recommended tyre pressures and how tyre pressures should be checked.
Tyre pressure information can be found in the vehicle handbook and I'll check the tyre pressures using a tyre pressure guage, remembering to put the valve caps back on!
3. Tell me how to make sure your head restraint is correctly adjusted so it provides the best protection in the event of a crash.
The middle of my head rest should be at the same height as the top of my ears or eyes.
4. Tell me how you'd check the tyres to ensure they have sufficient tread depth and that their general condition is safe to use on the road.
My tread depth should be at least 1.6mm in the middle 3/4, right around the whole tyre and I'll check there's no cuts or bulges in the side of the tyre.
5. Tell me how you'd check the headlights and tail lights are working.
I'll turn on the ignition and turn on the dipped headlights, then get out and check the headlight bulbs and tail light bulbs.
6. Tell me how you'd know if there was a problem with the anti lock braking system.
The ABS warning light would come on on the dashboard.
7. Tell me how you'd check the direction indicators are working.
I would turn on the hazard lights so all my indicators flash and then get out and check each bulb.
8. Tell me how you'd check the brake lights are working.
I'll turn on the ignition, press the brakes, and check the lights in reflections or get someone to help me check.
9. Tell me how you'd check the power steering is working before starting your journey.
With the engine off the steering wheel will feel heavy and difficult to turn. When the engine is switched on the steering wheel will go light and be easy to turn, if it doesn't, it's not working.
10. Tell me how you'd switch on the rear fog lights and tell me when you'd use them.
I'll turn on the ignition, turn on my dipped headlights and then press the rear fog light button. I'll use them when my visibility is reduced to less than 100 metres.
11. Tell me how you switch your headlights from dipped beam to main beam and how you'd know main beam is on.
I'll switch on the ignition, turn on the dipped deadlights and then operate the main beam. I'll know main beam is on because the blue warning light will be on.
12. Open the bonnet and tell me how you'd check that the engine has sufficient oil.
I'll take out the dipstick, wipe it, dip it back in the oil and take it out again to see if the oil is between the minimum and maximum level.
13. Open the bonnet and tell me how you'd check that the engine has sufficient engine coolant.
Here's the engine coolant and I'll check that the level is between minimum and maximum.
14. Open the bonnet and tell me how you'd check the brake fluid level.
Here's the brake fluid and I'll check that it's between the minimum and maximum marks.
When it's safe to do so, show me how you wash and clean the front windscreen.
When it's safe to do so, show me how you clean the rear windscreen.
When it's safe to do so, show me how you switch on your dipped headlights.
When it's safe to do so, show me how you demist the front windscreen.
When it's safe to do so, show me how you demist the rear windscreen.
When it's safe to do so, show me how you open and close your side window.
When it's safe to do so, show me how you sound the horn.